French website Phototrend had a chance to interview with Nikon manager, talking about recently announced Nikon D6(B&H/Adorama/Amazon), upcoming Nikon Z-mount mirrorless cameras and lenses. You can see the full interview here.
Highlights from Nikon interview:
- Nikon will continue to promote F-mount and Z-mount systems to meet the demands of more users.
- DSLRs still have the upper hand over hybrid cameras in sports and press photography.
- Nikon plan to expand our entire Z-mount system, including the lens range.
- Nikon will meet the needs of hybrid photographers who take not only still images, but also video.
- DX format (APS-C) hybrid cameras are an important category for providing a portal for amateur photographers.
- Nikon believe that the expression capabilities enabled by the level of optical performance available only from the Z-mount system will appeal to professional users.
- Nikon plan to move faster on the schedule presented with the introduction of the Z mount system for expanding the range of lenses.
- The demand for a faster release of an f/2.8 trinity is particularly strong. Currently Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S lens is still out of stock everywhere.
- A lot of demand for pancake type lenses for Z-mount.
- Nikon will continue to make improvements to Z system through firmware updates.
- D6 was developed primarily for sports and press photographers.
- Nikon will continue to develop and offer products that meet the needs of customers.