dpreview has a chance to interview with Nikon managers at CP+ Show 2019. Talking about Nikon’s DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, and lenses. According to Nikon managers, Nikon may also release APS-C (DX) mirrorless cameras next, because customers want DX mirrorless cameras.
Highlights from the interview:
- DSLR and mirrorless cameras have their own unique characteristics. Electronic viewfinders still cannot beat the optical viewfinder. For sports photography, DSLR cameras have more advantages.
- The view through the viewfinder should be as natural as possible.
- Z6 sells better than Z7, video shooters are telling us Nikon Z6 is very user-friendly.
- Nikon D750 and D850 sales “are still very robust”.
- DX mirrorless cameras could be even smaller than full frame mirrorless cameras. We’ll listen to the voices of our customers if they want DX mirrorless cameras.
- Advantages of Z-mount: “In comparison to F mount, [when designing lenses for Z] we can really guide the light, even right to the edges of the frame. This gives uniformly high image quality across the whole image area. The camera can also be thinner.” Also: the reduced reflections in the new Z lenses is achieved entirely optically and with coatings, no software is involved.